Steve Aoki has officially become the first dance music artist to be recognized by the Asian Hall of Fame. Aoki, who is Japanese, is credited as the first Asian DJ and music producer to achieve global stardom in EDM.
The Nov. 13 induction ceremony will also honor nine other Asian trailblazers, including Indra Nooyi, the first CEO of a Fortune 50 company to identify as a woman, a person of color and an immigrant; and Ken Jeong, the actor and comedian known for his roles in The hangover, boobies rich asianand Communityamong many others.
The 2021 cohort will join distinguished names like Bruce Lee, Connie Chung, Kristi Yamaguchi and Daniel Dae Kim, all of whom have been inducted over the past few years.
Founded in 2004, Asian Hall of Fame is a global leader in promoting Asian excellence and racial equity. The organization is also a strong supporter of the Stop Asian Hate movement. Initiatives include trauma recovery, media equity advancement and early career development. Aoki himself has taken the campaign under his wing, launching a “Stop Asian Hate” product line earlier this year.
See the full list of 2021 Asian Hall of Fame inductees below, listed in alphabetical order.
- Steve Aoki: First Asian DJ producer to achieve worldwide recognition in electronic dance music and son of Benihana founder Hiroaki “Rocky” Aoki.
- Tani Cantil-Sakauye: California’s first Filipino-American female chief justice.
- Phil Chen: Jamaican bassist in the Order of Distinction for Eric Clapton, Bob Marley, Robby Krieger, other legends.
- Ren Hanami: Japanese-Hawaiian actress and national chair of the SAG-AFTRA Asian Pacific American Media Committee.
- Ken Jeong: actor, comedian, producer, physician and advocate for Asian representation in national narratives.
- Sumi Jo: Legendary coloratura and the first Asian soprano nominated for the Oscar for Best Song. Korea’s first classical musician and national inductee.
- Nancy Kwan: Lifetime Achievement Award winner. First icon of Eurasian cinema in Hollywood, winner of the Golden Globe Award and cousin of inductee Kevin Kwan.
- Brandon Lee (in memoriam): martial artist, actor and son of inductee Bruce Lee.
- Dr. Linda Liau: Brain cancer vaccine pioneer, first Asian woman to lead a neurosurgery program.
- Indra Nooyi: Former Chairman and CEO of PepsiCo. First woman, person of color, and immigrant CEO of a Fortune 50 company. Author of my whole life memoirs and first Indian inductee.
FOLLOW STEVE AOKI: